Saturday, October 24, 2009

3 Pinions and Pedernal, Ghost Ranch 7


6 x 6 inches, oil on masonite, © 2009 Ann Painter
SOLD

In Northern New Mexico, Pedernal Mountain is an immense presence. Georgia O'Keeffe looked out at Pedernal from the patio of her house at Ghost Ranch for almost 50 years and loved it. She climbed to the top of its 10,000 feet at 62! She painted the mountain over and over saying that "God told her that if she painted it enough, she could have it". When she died, her ashes were scattered on top of it.

Pedernal is not an easy subject. Most of the time it appears flat or is hidden in the clouds that congregate around its peak. When it rains, it can disappear altogether. Depending on the time of day and weather conditions, its color changes minute by minute. Over all these years of visiting Ghost Ranch, I have avoided painting it. She was just too grand, too big and overwhelming a presence. I couldn't imagne how to get what I felt and experienced of this place into a painting, especially one that is 6" x 6".

The day I painted this, it was early morning because that is when the color on the mountain is most saturated and 3-dimensionality of it apparent. It was very cold and windy. We chose a place where we could see Pedernal across Abiquiu Lake. The first thing I noticed, after the mountain, were the three Juniper bushes in front of me. I decided to try and make them the focal point with Pedernal and the lake in the background. I am happy with the results though still think, there is no way for Pedernal not to overshadow everything and make its presence known. But that is how I experience it so it works.


No comments:

Post a Comment