Sunday, October 25, 2009

Arthur's Chair, Ghost Ranch 8


6 x 6 iches, oil on archival masonite, © 2009 Ann Painter
SOLD

It was pouring rain one day last week when I was working with a private student. I'm willing to be out in wind, heat and cold but not rain. For one thing, it doesn't mix with oil and makes painting almost impossible. So, on this day, Lori and I decided to find an indoor place to paint. What better than the historic Ghost House. It is the oldest building at the Ranch and a frequent visitor site. An original old adobe, out of the rain.

Arthur's chairs were recently discovered under a coat of brown paint. The skull that O'Keeffe designed was the giveaway. As they removed layers of old paint, the Ranch archivist recognized the symbol and chairs from old photos taken when Arthur Pack owned the Ranch. I loved working on this painting and getting the walls to glow. I hope that at least one or two more in the series are interiors.

No comments:

Post a Comment